Hello Capital Area Progressive Democrats!
Please join us for our next club meeting on Tuesday, May 2 at 5:30pm. We will meet at the AFL-CIO building located at 1106 Lavaca Street. Here’s what to expect at our the next meeting:
- Guest speaker: Lesley Varghese from the Office of Mayor Steve Adler. Lesley will speak about Attorney General Sessions’ recent opinion that Travis County and the City of Austin are not violating federal law regarding the Trump Administration’s immigration policies. Lesley will also speak about what actions the City of Austin may take regarding Senate Bill 4.
- CAPD 100 Dictionaries Challenge for the Inside Books Project. Inside Books Project, an Austin non-profit, sends over 35,000 free books to prisoners in Texas every year. Eva Gonzales is heading up CAPD’s efforts to collect 100 dictionaries for the Inside Books Project after learning that dictionaries are the most requested book types (English, Spanish, English/Spanish). If you can donate a paperback dictionary, or any of the books of the Inside Books Project “Books most in need” list, please bring them to the meeting. Click here for more information about the Inside Books Project or contact Eva Gonzales at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Annual KickAss Awards. Save the date: Join us on September 20, 2017 as CAPD honors some KickAss Democrats at our awards ceremony and fundraiser this year. More details about the event will be forthcoming.
- Upcoming fundraisers for our friends. May 21 – Bruce Elfant’s 25th (and last) Ice Cream Social. Click here for more info about the Ice Cream Social and please go out to support Bruce! If we missed any other fundraisers for CAPD-endorsed officials please let us know right away!
- Nick Chu’s Oath of Office and Investiture Ceremony – Monday, May 1 at 3:30pm, Heman Marion Sweatt Courthouse (3rd floor), 201st Civil District Court, 1000 Guadalupe, Austin, TX 78701. Please join us in honoring our dear friend and past KickAss honoree, Judge Nick Chu. A reception sponsored by the Austin Bar Association will follow.
CAPD Communications Chair