Fellow Capital Area Progressive Democrats –
Thank you for joining us last night at our first meeting of 2017. We had one of the best turnouts for a regular meeting in years. Thank you to everyone that joined us!
We had a robust conversation about our goals for 2017 and agreed to focus our progressive efforts on affordability, housing and racial justice. To that end, we’re starting 2017 with some great volunteer opportunities and programs:
1. Please sign up for the 2017 Homelessness Point in Time Count on January 28. We’re forming multiple teams which will participate in this crucial annual event. Please sign up for the 3am shift and note that you’re a CAPD member. Sign up here: http://austinecho.org/get-involved/2017-point-in-time-count/
2. At our February 7, 2017 meeting, we’ll have a panel discussion on Austin affordability, housing and CodeNext led by a member of the City Council.
3. Later in February we’ll have a volunteer session with Inside Books Project whose mission is to get free books and educational material to people incarcerated in Texas prisons. Eva Gonzales will head up this effort.
4. At our March meeting we will have a panel discussion focused on addressing racial discrimination and criminal justice reform.
5. We will begin planning our club participation in a fall Habitat for Humanity build project.
A big thank you to Ken Craig for leading the discussion at our first meeting of 2017! And congratulations to all of the CAPD-endorsed candidates that were sworn into office this week. We wish them well and continued success.
Thank you for standing up as a progressive Democrat in these challenging times. With Trump and the Republicans about to take over Washington, DC, now is the time for us to step up locally and fight for our values. Together, we shall overcome.
Chair, Capital Area Progressive Democrats